Today is HUMP day! I am not big on Spring Cleaning – you know that once a season HUGE cleaning frenzy but I am thinking about spring cleaning my clothes closet. A devotional on Crosswalk.com got me to thinking. I know -scary, right?
“Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.'” Hebrews 13:5 (ESV)
Then a blog by Chelsea Spear made me wonder again what my style really is….do, I need more clothes or do I just need to coordinate and consolidate. Chelsea had these questions when she talked about cleaning her closet:
1. Does it need mending or replacing? Let’s be honest… are we really going to mend anything? Get rid of it. Keeping items around that aren’t being worn is CRAZY, right?
2. Have I worn this in the last season (or if it’s “special” ask yourself if you’ve worn it in the last year)? Chances are if you’re not wearing it this year, you won’t be wearing it in the future. Guess it is time to get rid of the dresses that have been hanging in my closet for oh so long. I mean really the last few times that I wore a dress was on formal night on the cruise or when I walked the stage at National Conference. Do I really need 5 of them with skirt options in my closet?
3. Does it have stains or holes or runs? Okay, this one was easy for me because I get tide of things easily like this.
4. Does it fit? Is it flattering? WOW! That means that all of the jeans, capris and tops that have gotten a little big need to be donated. I know the clothes that I wear that I get complimented on, so I need to stick with them. This one is probably the most difficult, because it requires you to be 100% honest with yourself.
5. How many of these do I need? Okay, I am definitely guilty of this one. I LOVE Old Navy tami tank tops. I have LOTS of them – multiple in the same color and a few in different colors. I wear them all year long. These are a definite need to have lots. Multiples of any other kind of shirt is crazy! I can (and do) only wear so many jeans so I need to let the rest go. No more just in case clothes. You know the jacket that I bought for Belinda in HS and she never really wore. It fits, so I kept it just in case so I could use it. Guess it is time to donate it.
Are you ready to re-vamp your closet? I am so excited about the chance to re-vamp my closet so that there are NOT a lot of options. I mean the truth is, I am not good at coordinating things so I need to stick with basics. There will be some donating to a great cause -a friend collecting clothes for a missions trip. Some selling – I mean there are things that still have tags on them. And finally maybe even some tossing of things that I have been holding onto and will never use. The key to all of this, is NOT to shop and replace these items – just clean out and be content for awhile.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!