I know that many of you are ready for this weekend since it is the 50th Super Bowl. I know that I am excited even if my favorite team, J-E-T-S, are not playing but I will be cheering on the Carolina Panthers.
I am guessing for some, you aren’t thinking about working your business this weekend. WHY? You will be hanging with friends. Celebrating. Watching football. You don’t want to be the pushy sales person, right? Would it be out of your comfort zone to talk about what you LOVE – your business at a social gathering? I will admit that sometimes it is a struggle for me. I am not quite sure how to work it into the conversation.
Here are a few things that YOU (and me) will need to do if we want to be successful in our business:
- You have to make the call you’re afraid to make. FEAR stops us in our tracks. I have found if I do the thing that I am most afraid of first thing in the morning or when I first walk into my office – it gets done. No time to think about it. Just do it!
- You have to get up earlier than you want to get up. For me this has become more of a physical struggle due to some recently diagnosed health issues. Getting up at 5AM used to be easy. Now I struggle BUT I know that if I don’t get in my office by 7AM – nothing gets done.
- You have to give more than you get in return right away. I think this goes along with the old saying “you have to spend money to make money”.
- You have to fight when you are already injured, bloody, and sore. Okay, so we don’t mean this physically BUT you need to keep going even when you feel unsure & insecure.
- You have to lead when no one else is following you yet. This is so true in DS. It wasn’t my original goal to be a leader. I just shared the fun & benefits and they started to follow.
- You have to invest in yourself even though no one else is. I have to admit that I still struggle with this one. My inner gremlins always want to battle me on this.
- You have to make mistakes and look like an idiot. Yes, I have been there and I am sure that I will be there again. Mistakes are how we learn and grow. Some of the greatest people have made mistakes and kept going when people thought that they were crazy!
- You have to keep moving towards where you want to be no matter what’s in front of you. Keep your goal in front of you – no matter how big or small. It can be as simple as some extra money to play with or it can be a career change and the desire to NOT work for someone else.
I know what does all of this have to do with hanging out with friends at a Super Bowl party, right? If you want to succeed, you will find a way to work your business into conversations this weekend. You won’t be pushy. You will be sharing a part of your life that you love. Step out of your comfort zone so that you can succeed.
You have to do the hard things. The things that no one else is doing. The things that scare you. The things that make you wonder how much longer you can hold on. Those are the things that define you. Those are the things that make the difference between living a life of mediocrity or outrageous success. The hard things are the easiest things to avoid. To excuse away. To pretend like they don’t apply to you. The simple truth about how ordinary people accomplish outrageous feats of success is that they do the hard things that smarter, wealthier, more qualified people don’t have the courage — or desperation — to do. Do the hard things. You might be surprised at how amazing you really are.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!
5 thoughts on “Out of Your Comfort Zone to be Successful”