Over the last few weeks, I have felt some uncertainty. My inner gremlins have been bumping around trying to get out. Why? Change…. changing the way I run my business. Changing the way I do things at home. Changing my diet due to health issues. Wondering what I should be doing as a result of all of these health challenges (#mswillnotdefineme). Change creates doubt and fear, who is with me?
So, today I want to talk about changing uncertainties into positive action. Whether you are growing a business, running a household, starting a new job or just a new eating plan – uncertainty surrounds us. First, know that you are NOT alone! Fear and doubt creeps in all of the time, it is how we handle that makes the difference.
Remember the feeling of being ready to move forward in a challenge? Everything made sense. You were ready to conquer the world. You set a goal and achieved it. Nothing could stop you. Hold onto that feeling? Then something happens to shake that world up. A weight gain. Life challenges. Your business slows down. You get laid off from your job. Fear and doubt enters the picture. Those positive feelings are replaced with doubt. Now, not only are you uncertain about a specific situation, you have uncertainty about your life. Right?
Let’s kick “uncertainty” to the curb…..
- Set a goal. Look at the potential that surrounds you. Healthy eating is a chance to try new foods. Expanding your circles if growing a business is a chance to meet new people. Exercising is a way to get healthy and meet new people. Look at the long term effects of what this change can do for you. The goal should be attainable with a little bit of a stretch.
- Admit to yourself and some one else (friend, hubby, mentor – you pick) that you are at this place of uncertainty. I know, scary right? It means letting someone else know you have fears and doubts. It will also help you to step out of your comfort zone. It’s time to dig down to the root of the uncertainty so you can move forward.
- Make a plan. Make the action steps in the plan, manageable. A little bit of a stretch but nothing that will paralyze you with fear so you don’t move forward. Want to eat healthier? Eliminate junk food from the house & substitute it with something that you can grab and munch on. Maybe just start with portion control. Want to grow your business? Talk to new people who can help you expand your circles like: a teacher that has a school to fish from or a banker that has an entire branch and more to fish from or a preschool mom or worker that has an entire sea of committed moms and employees that would want to raise money or refresh their school or a principal who knows her staff supports her interest, and would support a fun teacher appreciation party of fellowship and fun!
- Commit to the goal and the action steps in your plan. You know you can do it. Take it one day at a time or maybe even one hour at a time. Whatever it takes, stay committed to achieving your goal. Have fun and be consistent.
- Your efforts must be continuous. Don’t push hard for a few months or a few days and then let things fizzle. Yes, life gets in the way BUT you can do it. When you push hard all the time, you will overcome the obstacles. New struggles will creep up but since you have achieved success once, you will be able to do it again.
What steps will you take this weekend to KICK uncertainty to the curb? I would love to hear from you…
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!