It’s FRIDAY!!!!! I always say that “age” is just a number. Some might disagree BUT I think I have a great attitude about getting older. Some would never believe that I am 59 – yes, really! I am ready to embrace life instead of worrying and dreading it. I read recently that only 25% of our genes are responsible for visible signs of aging. Most of us have preconceived notions about what getting older looks like – do you?
If you are approaching 45 (mid-life for some), are you in a “mid-life crisis”? What if you took the word ‘crisis’ away from the word mid-life ‘crisis’. The second half of your life could be the best part of your life….
Here are some ways to make the second half of your life as exciting as can be:
- Get your finances in order. Your will, insurance policies, retirement statements and estate planning should all be done. Be sure to know where all your documents are.
- Live in gratitude. Be thankful for what you have, look forward to what is still to come.
- Try to shoot for 6-8 hours of sleep per night.
- Get a mammogram, pap smear, colonoscopy, full skin check up and a full blood work up. You will feel better knowing you did.
- Take a new route to work. Mix it up. Enjoy the scenery.
- Connect with like-minded and interesting people. Spend time with the people you enjoy being around. People that lift you up not bring you down.
- Tell your loved ones that you love them every day
- Look in the mirror, tell yourself, “I love you!” (Sometimes harder than it sounds ;-))
- Make exercise a non- negotiable. We lose muscle over the age of 40 and more over 50! Take the steps. Take a short walk. Start somewhere BUT keep moving.
- Take on new and exciting opportunities
- Do what you love and love what you do!
- Learn new things. Attend conferences, workshops, and read at least 1 new book per month.
- Avoid stress and drama as much as possible. Do not let someone else’s drama become yours.
- Up your water consumption. I was told the rule of thumb is to drink half your weight in ounces daily. This isn’t always easy for me but I try.
- Enjoy your journey and where you are in life in the present time.
- Health is the most important thing we have. It feels good to know that we can create better health through the simple steps and actions we take each day.
- Schedule ‘me’ time. Self- care is imperative. Get a massage regularly. Enjoy your pampering time without guilt. Go out with girlfriends you can be silly around and be yourself with.
- Unplug from your cell phone and all social media whenever you can. We all need a break from everything. It will all still be there when you plug back in. I know this one is hard from personal experience but it needs to be done.
- Take a vacation just for fun at the very least once a year. Travel to try new things and to meet new and interesting people.
- Don’t spend money on things you do not need to impress people you really don’t care about. What you do with your money is your business, period.
- Not everyone is going to like you so accept it and move on. Stick with the few people that have your back and are always there for you and distance yourself from the rest.
- Understand and appreciate your worth. Be proud of what you have done and what you are still going to accomplish. With age does come wisdom. Don’t let anyone younger try to take that away from you and never let them try to under value your worth.
Life will always be filled with its uncertainties. I may not always get the tips that I shared right BUT when I do they have given me the opportunity to experience better health, more peace, and happiness in my life. I hope some of them can help you too!
I know that by thinking positively and doing positive things, I create a foundation to live the best, most energetic life possible. My intention moving into my sixties, and beyond, is to age gracefully while engaging a purpose-filled life.
Will you join me? Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!