Throwback Thursday and I am reflecting on the changes in my life and where I want to be in 5 years or maybe even 2 years. If I asked you “where would you like to be in 5 years, what would you say?”.
The truth is without hope and optimism, we tend to settle for far less than we are capable of. As a result, we probably can’t even fathom where we want to be in 5 years. Fear and doubt has crept in and stole our dreams. So we move one day at a time, never planning for a future, or dreaming of what we want.
Do you know it’s not too late to start dreaming again. It’s not too late to start over. It’s not too late to move in a new direction – the right direction.
What areas of your life do you need to rekindle your hope? Where do you need to get rid of the negatives and embrace the positive?
How many of these statements apply to you?
- I do not get discouraged easily.
- Despite the disappointments I have suffered, I have hope my future will be satisfying.
- I am inspired by others’ stories of success because they give me hope I can do it too.
- There is nothing in my life I am settling for.
- When I succeed, I do not downplay or dismiss the effort I put forth, saying things like “Oh, it was just a lucky break.”
- I believe in myself.
- I have a clear set of goals for my professional and personal life.
- I have a clear vision of what I want my relationships to look like.
- I have a clear set of financial goals and a plan to get there.
- I have inspiring health and fitness goals compelling me to push forward.
- I pray regularly.
- I sense an inner voice, the voice of the Holy Spirit, which guides me in my life.
- Even when things get tough, I do not give up hope.
- I see challenges as temporary and expect to work through them.
- I feel confident most of the time.
- I get excited about my vision for my life and the future ahead.
- If I wanted to make an unconventional change in my life, such as changing careers or deciding to become a parent later in life, I would give myself permission to go for it!
- As a leader at home, work, or in the community, I am good at helping people see the vision for where we are headed.
- I listen to my intuition and follow it, even when I feel fear.
- I look for the good in every situation.
Okay, well I don’t know about you BUT maybe only a handful apply to me. Fear and doubt has clouded my dreams. My hope is diminished from inner gremlins who want me to believe I am less than. The dreams I dream are unattainable….
The truth is it is time to be optimistic. Optimism is the fuel you need to dream big and gain the courage to take the next, right step.
For me, in 5 years, I would like to be living in North Carolina with my hubby. Relaxing in the mountains and enjoying life. I want to be debt free. I want my business to be consistent allowing me to give back to the community. Is it a BIG DREAM? YES! Is is possible? YES! Does it scare me? YES! Do I want to run and hide sometimes? YES!
But the difference now then in the past, is I am embracing the dream. I am putting a plan in place to get where I want to be. I am not giving up when fear and doubt creep in. I am not letting the inner gremlins control my life. I am fighting fear with optimism, won’t you join me?
So, I ask you again, where would you like to be in 5 years? Give yourself permission to dream. What would change in your life if you embraced optimism in the face of your most persistent doubts and fears?
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!