I love the fact you can cook 15 BEAN SOUP® beans in a crock pot or slow cooker. This easy to follow recipe will have a pot full of 15 Bean Soup waiting for you after a day of activities. When the weather gets COLD, soup is my go to food, what is your comfort food when it gets cold?
Cook Time about 6 hours. Prep Time about 10 minutes. Servings 12
1 pkg Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup®
8 cups water (use chicken, beef, or vegetable broth for added flavor)
1 lb. smoked or ground sausage, or use a hambone with some meat on it. .
1 large. onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder (optional)
1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
Juice from 1 lemon
Optional: Hot sauce or crushed red pepper to taste
Cooking Directions – NO SOAK METHOD
- In a colander or sieve, rinse beans thoroughly. Sort and inspect for any unwanted debris and discard.
- Drain and pour beans in a slow cooker with 8 cups of stock/water, onions, meat or hambone, garlic and chili powder. (Not tomato or lemon juice yet!)
- Stir to combine. Set slow cooker on high and cook for 5-7 hours then check to make sure beans are tender. The soup can continue to simmer for several hours and will develop more flavor over time.
- After the beans are tender, remove the hambone (leave any ham in the pot), stir in the can of diced tomatoes, our Ham Flavor packet, and the lemon juice.
- Cook for additional 30 minutes then keep warm until ready to serve.
It is recommend serving freshly baked corn bread or serve it over rice. Keep in mind every time the lid is opened, your cooking time will be longer.
Additional Cooking Tips
- For even more flavor, substitute beef, chicken or vegetable stock instead of water.
- You can also try 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts or 1 lb. beef roast, then shred meat before Step 5 above.
- It’s best to wait until AFTER the beans have become tender or fully cooked before adding any acidic ingredients like tomatoes, citrus, vinegars, etc.
Leftover soup makes a GREAT lunch….. you can take it with you in Thirty One’s Going Places Thermal.
The Going Places Thermal has a spacious compartment for lunch or snacks as well as a water-resistant thermal lining. The crossbody strap is ideal for taking snacks on the go for long walks, hikes, or any time when you just need your hands to be free to carry other items. A zip-around closure keeps contents sealed and protected, while an interior mesh pocket and exterior flat pocket provide extra storage spaces for other items like cell phones or keys. Holds up to 10 lbs.! Keeps contents cool or warm for up to 1.25 hours.
What is YOUR favorite soup recipe? Share it with us….
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!