Today’s yummy recipe is one I use in my crockpot A LOT!!!! For those who have an instant pot/pressure cooker there are also instructions for it. I love the fact the cost is only $2.31/serving for 6 servings. Of course, I always manage to have more than the stated servings… I get kind of heavy handed with the veggies. LOL.
Prep is 20 minutes and then set it and forget it!
1 tbsp oil
1 1⁄2 lbs (675 g) cubed stewing beef
4 cups water
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 lbs (900 g) baby carrots – I add string beans & corn.
1 1⁄2 lbs (675 g) mini potatoes – I use sweet potatoes cubed
PROGRAMMABLE PRESSURE COOKER
- Program to SAUTÉ. Heat oil; add beef and cook until browned on all sides.
- Stir in water, tomato paste, and seasoning. Fold in carrots and potatoes.
- Secure lid. Place steam release valve in SEALING position. Program to HIGH pressure, and set the time to 35 min. This will take some time to get up to temperature before the timer starts to count down.
- When cook time has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 15 min.
- Using a long-handled spoon, push the steam release handle to VENTING position. Release pressure completely before opening lid.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook until browned on all sides. NOTE: I throw everything in the crockpot at once, no pre-cooking for me. LOL.
- Transfer to slow cooker vessel. Stir in water, tomato paste, and seasoning. Fold in carrots and potatoes.
- Cover and cook 8 hours on low.
Per serving (about 2 cups): Calories 360, Fat 9 g (Saturated 3 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 570 mg, Carbohydrate 44 g (Fiber 9 g, Sugars 10 g), Protein 26 g.
Perfectly Balance Your Plate
Serve with 2 cups mixed greens and 1 tbsp favourite Epicure Dressing.
To thicken stew, whisk together 1⁄4 cup corn starch with 3 tbsp cold water. Turn off the heat; stir into cooked stew, until thickened, about 2 min.
Upgrade your stew to a “daube”—a fancy French word for stew—and swap 2 cups water for 2 cups dry red wine.
Do you have a favorite recipe you would like to share with us? Send me an email and I would be happy to include it – if you have a small business, include the link as well so we can share the love ❤
Have an Epic day!