I LOVE this recipe for a multitude of reasons but most of all because it is 100% gluten-free!
I haven’t made it but I have tried them….. it is tasty, and packed full of health benefits from the sweet potato like antioxidants and anti-inflammatories!. You can substitute pumpkin in this recipe, if you want….BUT why?
The flesh of sweet potatoes contains high levels of beta-carotene, an antioxidant which works to fight dangerous free radicals in your body. These free radicals can affect the DNA makeup of your cells, which can lead to mutations in the cells. This cell mutation is what leads inevitably to cancers of various kinds. I LOVE the skin of a sweet potato especially when they are baked!
Sweet potato works against both chronic and acute inflammation, healing you of both.
1 small organic sweet potato, roasted (1 cup, packed)
3 organic free-range eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup of organic canned coconut milk
2 tablespoons of organic olive oil
½ cup of pure organic maple syrup
1 cup of organic brown rice flour
¼ cup of organic coconut flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon of ground cloves
⅛ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 ℉ and lightly oil a 12-hole muffin tray.
- When the oven reaches the right temperature, poke holes in your sweet potato and place it on the middle rack of the oven to cook for about 60 minutes, or until it is very soft. Once it’s cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
- Once the sweet potato is cool enough to handle, scrape the flesh from the skin and place the pulp in a mixing bowl. You can discard the skin, or eat it as a quick snack.
- The skin is actually packed with a lot of the same vitamins as the rest of the sweet potato.
- Add the olive oil, almond milk, and maple syrup to the sweet potato and mix until it creates a smooth mixture. In a separate bowl, mix your dry ingredients together until well combined. Pour the dry ingredients into the rest of the sweet potato and combine until everything is uniform.
- Pour the batter into the muffin pan, filling the spaces until ¾ of the way full. Place them on the middle rack and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife in inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Want to take these tasty treats with you in the morning or when you are out and about? Try Thirty One’s Cool Clip Thermal Pouch. This clip on thermal is ideal for carrying snacks. It easily attaches to a backpack, bag or tote. Also works well to hold medicine, sunscreen, makeup or small electronics. Approx. 8”H x 11.25”L x 3”D
Breakfast or snack on the go… a bottle of water and your muffin.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!