For those in direct sales, we know the best way to build our income AND to make a difference in someone’s life is to share the opportunity. We call those individuals new to our teams “recruits” so we are in essence “recruiters”.
A term I am not thrilled with. Why? The term recruiter by definition is “a person whose job is to enlist or enroll people as employees, in the armed forces, or as members of an organization.”
For years, I would say “I’m not good at recruiting”. I would play the comparison game with those who grew their teams by leaps and bounds. By no means would I call myself a remarkable recruiter, at best an average recruiter and most of the time not recruiting at all. I tend to miss cues of those who may be interested, or not sharing with everyone while asking if they would be interested in the opportunity. I could blame the MS but the truth is I worried about those I invited to be a part of this pink bubble. I worried if they would be successful. I worried if they would think I mislead them.
Then one day, I stopped worrying. I just shared the difference Thirty One make in my life and things started to happen. Did all of those who joined, stick and stay? NO! But the odds are getting better.
Here are FIVE habits which make a REMARKABLE recruiter – rate yourself on a score of 1 – 10 with 10 being ALWAYS to see how you do. Don’t score yourself on where you WANT to be or be too hard on yourself. Be honest, this will help you to achieve your business recruiting goals.
- Remarkable recruiters work consistently smarter and not harder. They consistently have parties booked on a monthly basis. They are sharing their products with EVERYONE they run into whether they know they or not.
- Remarkable recruiters ALWAYS smile. No matter how bad the party or the day, they always have a smile on their face and a positive thought to share. Did you know smiling is a reflection of what’s inside of you? Share the joy you feel about your business with everyone simply by smiling. I remember a comment a friend made “your face lights up when you talk about Thirty One“. I am learning to wear the joy all of the time so people are curious why and I can share the blessing given to me.
- Remarkable recruiters are active not passive. They take the lead when someone shows interest in the business. They get on the PHONE (I know the dreaded 500-pound one) and don’t rely on flyers and emails to recruit new consultants.
- Remarkable recruiters think about what is in it for someone else! Yes, more recruits mean more money for us. The key is to focus on how your business will help someone else – make more money to reduce debt, have a vacation, pay for their kid’s activities etc. CONNECT with people. Our business is all about relationship building – go out and BUILD one today.
- Remarkable recruiters stay in control of the recruiting process. If a potential recruit says they want to think about it – do you wait for them to call you? The fortune is in the follow-up. How about asking them what the TWO things are that keep them from jumping in? LISTEN to their answer and see if you can overcome those doubts.