I am so glad it is FRIDAY! Who is ready for the weekend? With the crazy weather at the Jersey Shore this past week, I have been pulling out some spring clothes and tossing aside my fall sweaters. I love the warmer weather but I have to admit my closet is a mess.
The change of season brings out the desire to change my wardrobe. I know “if you haven’t worn it in the last year, toss it or give it away”. I have always been a jeans girl – my style never changes but I want to change it up a bit.
I found a great blog post called “How to Simplify Your Life by Simplifying Your Wardrobe”. This shabby chic momma is ready to change her look. I can’t tell you how many mornings I have stood at my closet trying to get ready for a networking meeting and said “I have nothing to wear”. I am sure that I am not alone, right?
I love Resa‘s suggestion of a capsule wardrobe. Don’t feel bad, I didn’t know what that was either so here goes:
A capsule wardrobe is a simplified wardrobe made of pieces that can easily be mixed, matched, and accessorized to be dressed up or down for any occasion.
FIRST step is to Declutter! Grab each piece by hand and ask “does this bring me joy?” If it doesn’t, it’s time to let it go. Keep in mind that it’s hard to feel joy when something doesn’t fit quite right and brings a feeling of guilt or insecurity. Get rid of the “what-ifs.” or “maybe I’ll need it later,” . Let it go. Yes, I am humming the song from Frozen. By letting go of the things, you are allowing yourself to simplify your life and surround yourself with things that spark joy.
Analyze and Assess what is left. Figure out what the pieces have in common. Chances are the pieces you have left are timeless classics that go beyond the trends and work for you right now.
Now for some fun. Figure out what kind of clothes you actually need based on your lifestyle. As a home-based business owner, I would love a mix of structure and casual style – a couple pairs of dark jeans you can dress up or down, interesting tees that you can layer with a good blazer, a couple nice blouses that you can dress down with jeans or dress up with a pencil skirt. The next set of questions made to go “hmmm”.
Consider your aesthetic. Are you a more modern dresser? Girly? Bohemian? Edgy? Romantic? Figure out how you want to express yourself outwardly – clothes don’t have to be wholly utilitarian, after all! This all comes back to feeling joyful, so wear things that let you feel good.
Here is Resa’s recommended wardrobe framework:
- 1 Bottom for Every 2.5 Tops
- 4 Bottoms that Work for Most of Your Week – these should last you Monday through Friday in a pinch.
- 2-3 Casual Bottoms that you love for weekends or play
- 5-6 Casual Tops – These should be able to work under a jacket or on their own, with a scarf, with a cute necklace… These are your basics.
- 2-3 Dressier Blouses – These should be ideal for date night, meetings, and office wear.
- 1-2 Casual Sweaters – Make sure it’s something you can throw on for any situation and feel confident. Hoodies don’t count here (BOO!!)
- 1-2 Accessory Jackets – A distressed denim jacket is always a good choice, and so are leather jackets.
- 1 Blazer (minimum!) – This will upgrade almost any look, whether you’re going more casual or business
By picking pieces within a single color palette, you’re setting yourself up for certain success – nearly every top you have should go with every bottom. That’s the whole mixing & matching part. Keep in mind that this palette should be based on coordinated neutrals with pops of color, not the other way around!
I am ready to hit some thrift stores and make some changes without spending a lot of money. What will you have in your capsule wardrobe?