So this is where I am today! Feeling overwhelmed and not sure what direction to go in.
I woke up remembering today was Gram’s birthday. My grandmother would have celebrated her 106 birthday today…. I know she is celebrating in heaven with all of my other angels; BUT this got me to thinking – scary, right? My grandmother had Alzheimer’s and on any given day, her memory was shot. With my MS, on any given day my memory is shot. I think of what a struggle it is for me and I can’t imagine the pain and frustration she felt for so many years….. Yes, I squirreled but this is all part of me being overwhelmed.
This is the month things get crazy – I have craft shows every weekend from now (okay last weekend) till the second weekend in December. Some week-ends it is both Saturday and Sunday, some it is just Saturday and then there are a few mid-week events I squeezed in. WHY? Yes, tis the season of selling angels and helping people make memories BUT I can’t seem to admit things get to be a struggle. MS has caused me to walk a little slower, my brain is a little foggier and some days I just can’t seem to move because I am so tired.
In the past, my blogs and my focus have been on my business BUT things are changing yet again. I’m not sure what direction I want to go in and some days, I’m not even sure if I want to keep blogging. SHOCKING, right? I have been blogging since 2013 first on a daily basis and then I cut it back to 4 days a week. Now, even that seems overwhelming. I wonder if anyone is still interested. I know my recipes get a lot of sharing so that is definitely at hit. The problem is, I struggle with finding new and different recipes to appeal to everyone… even ones I would like. So, today I am thinking of trying some of the things I used to do when I was feeling overwhelmed in my business…..
In the midst of all of this craziness, how do you manage to NOT feel overwhelmed in your business or in your life? How do you manage to not loose your focus at the busiest time of year? I found an article in The Self Employed which may have some tips to help you….
1. Reset: Before you panic (unless you already have) press the RESET button. Make a list of things which need to be done and rank them by priority. At the end of each day, give yourself 5 or 10 minutes to relax, reflect on what you did and get ready for a new day. You can’t change what happened yesterday but you can take control of today.
2. Eliminate Outside Influence: Do you have your own business? Juggling kids and a job? Juggling a chronic health issue? Set aside time for it – maybe just a 1/2 hour, or an hour or even several hours. Finish the most important tasks WITHOUT interruption. Then focus on your family and enjoy. Did you know it takes you 20 minutes to get back on track after a distraction. YIKES! Definitely time to weed out the distractions!!!
3. Focus Down One Task – EAT the FROG – you know the most daunting thing or the thing you hate to do the most. The quicker you get this done, the easier the rest of the list will be to get done. Get your productivity snowball rolling down the hill. That works not only in your business but also in preparation for the holidays. Yup, it is going to be here before you know it!
4. Ask for Help – alright, I know no one can do it the way you do it BUT they can help. It doesn’t have to PERFECT but if someone is willing to pitch in, let them. From helping get ready for the holiday meal to doing the small things in your office. This is the hardest thing for me to do!
5. Learn to Say NO! Novel concept, right but it will not be the end of the world. Remember you can’t do EVERYTHING. As John Maxwell says – manage YOU because you can’t manage time, we all get the same 24 hours in a day.
Block time for work THEN enjoy the holiday. Block off time for family and friends so you can enjoy without the guilt feelings. What is your best tip for getting through this holiday season or just the every stress of juggling lots of balls without loosing your mind???