Thank you Hungry Girl for today’s recipe….
Do you remember Hamburger Helper? When life was crazy busy – full-time job, active kid and not a lot of time to plan meals, this and macaroni and cheese was a go to meal. I kind of miss those days so this is a great way to enjoy the same yummy taste in a healthier way.
Whether you call it beefy mac, beefaroni, or American chop suey, a hearty pasta meal full of ground beef and rich tomato sauce rocks. Indulge in our AMAZING recipe without a lick of guilt…
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 30 minutes Makes: 4 servings
- 3 cups frozen cauliflower florets
- 4 1/2 oz. (about 1 1/4 cups) high-fiber elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 1 lb. raw extra-lean ground beef (4% fat or less)
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 tbsp. canned tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Optional seasoning: crushed red pepper
- Place cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave for 3 minutes. Uncover and stir. Re-cover and microwave for 2 minutes, or until hot. Drain excess liquid.
- Roughly chop cauliflower, return to the bowl, and cover to keep warm.
- In a large pot, cook pasta per package instructions, about 7 minutes. Drain pasta, and stir into cauliflower. Re-cover to keep warm.
- Spray the pot with nonstick spray, and bring to medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and cook and stir until browned, about 4 minutes.
- To the pot, add ground beef, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stir, and crumble until beef is fully cooked and veggies are soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot, and stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in cauliflower-pasta mixture. Cook until hot and well mixed, about 2 minutes.
Serving Size: 1/4th of recipe (about 2 1/2 cups): Calories: 375; Fat: 6g; Sodium: 690mg; Carbs: 50g; Fiber: 10g; Sugars: 13.5g; Protein: 33g PointsPlus® value 9*
Be sure to pack your leftovers for lunch the next day in Thirty One’s Around the Clock Thermal. This is one of our most versatile totes. It is great for lunch or snacks anytime, anywhere—work, school, festivals, road trips, pool, beach, golf course, boating or sporting events. The water-resistant thermal lining keeps contents cool and makes cleanup easier. A removable shoulder strap means you can carry it any number of ways, including crossbody for hands-free movement. An interior mesh pocket and exterior front zipper pocket provide separate storage options when needed. Makes a great gift for friends, neighbors, kids, teachers and everyone else on the go!