Are you stuck? By definition, “stuck means being trapped in something, unable to progress”. Is that you?
Maybe you are stuck in the same job, you don’t like? Maybe financially, you are unable to pay down debt, just maintaining the status quo? You know making those minimum payments and not getting anywhere. Maybe you are trying to get off those few pounds of winter weight BEFORE the warmer weather finally arrives? It won’t be long before summer is here, right?
You can get unstuck in just THREE simple steps. If you are like me, you are wondering why no one ever told you this before, right? It almost seems like the “magic wand” to getting unstuck. Andy Andrews is AMAZING. If you haven’t read his books, get busy because you will be motivated in a way you have never been before.
When you hear success stories about other people, do they feel unrealistic? The truth is there is a way for you to get unstuck and start living a life you want to live…
Here is Andy Andrew’s 3 step process:
1. Identify where you want to go.
First, you need to know what your end goal is so you know where you’re going. This one is a true struggle for me. It seems to change as the days change with MS and recovery…. Think about it…. if you could wave a magic wand and make your life look like anything you want, what would it look like?
- Where would you live?
- What would you be most excited about?
- Who would you spend most of your time with?
- How would you feel when you wake up in the morning?
- What problems and fears would no longer weigh down your thoughts?
Don’t limit yourself with fear and doubt. Remember NOTHING is impossible so answer them honestly. This is how you will identify your target.
2. Align your life with your key talents.
The path you choose in life needs to be aligned with your talents because they reveal what you were made to do.
If your dream is to be a professional singer but you don’t have the gift of voice or pitch, it won’t happen. Get the picture of how to pick your path based on your key talents. Believe it or not, the right path will begin to open up and become clearer than ever when you are using your key talents.
Not sure what you are talented in? Everyone has talents – most of us have multiple talents. Here are two things which hold you back from identifying those talents:
1. It’s much harder to evaluate our own talents than the talents of others.
Overconfident people tend to inflate their talents which don’t match up with reality, while people who lack confidence tend to massively overlook or undersell their talents. Yup, this is where I am most days. Recovery is teaching me I have assets and gifts which I need to embrace. Discovering your talent will begin to increase your level of belief in yourself.
2. We tend to have a narrow definition of talent.
Maybe you don’t think you have “cool talents” like running fast or singing great. What I have found, is one of my talents is making people smile when they are struggling which can help to make a huge differences in their lives. My biggest fear is “how will I earn an income from it?”, but the truth is when I stopped worrying about it and started making a difference, things slowly started to happen. I am working on re-building on it and making it the foundation of my side hustles. Being honest and open about where I am and who I am goes a long way with customers.
3. Discover the skills you can develop to complement your talent.Think of your talent as your main asset. Then add your skills to the mix and they will help to make your talent stronger. Skills can be learned and you can incorporate just about any skill into your life. It is important to identify the right skills to complement your talent.
If you’re a great singer, you’ll probably want to hone your stage presence. As for me, I am finding my writing is an important skill – this blog. So I am working on my writing skills. I am also working on ways to make a difference each day in someone’s life.
So ask yourself…
- What skill would allow me to impact more lives with my talent?
- Is someone with a similar talent using it to do great work? What skills do they seem to possess?
- Who do I have to become to live a life in perfect alignment with my gifts?
Keep asking yourself these questions. As you build your foundation, the answers will change. Believe it or not, you will become more valuable than you could ever imagine.
A word of caution: It’s important to keep in mind no pathway in life is straight—no matter where you’re going or where you want to go, you have to be flexible.
Consider the bumps along the way as an essential part of the process instead of setbacks. Don’t let “Negative Nellie” zap your energy and steal your dream.
What ways are you developing your skills and using your talents? Tell me in the comments!
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!