Last week, I talked about growing your self confidence and I received a lot of feedback. I won’t say i am surprised because despite all of the overwhelmingly positive posts on Facebook and Instagram, there are people who struggle. They struggle with standing tall and proud letting their sparkle shine through.
So here are a few more things which might help you boost your confidence…
1. Take some time for personal care. I will admit, I am the worst at this. When I am feeling yuk, all I want to do is lay around in my sweats. The truth is, we should really nudge ourselves to do something for us. Now, I don’t mean spend a fortune. How about pulling out your favorite shaving cream and shaving those legs? The warmer weather is coming. How about deep conditioning your hair? Or even soaking in a bubble bath? Pamper yourself with something you enjoy doing for you. Give yourself permission to enjoy life. Giving yourself permission to relax and even PLAY, will pay you back ten fold. You will gradually change your mindset so the fun times come more naturally.
2. Visualize and Reframe. This is going to sound a little crazy since I always talk about how important positive thinking is BUT believe me it works. Take a few minutes to reflect on the problems you are facing in your life. Feel the feelings associated with the problem. Do you naturally assume the worst – let’s REFRAME the problem and the solution! Nothing is hopeless but when you believe it is, all you will feel is unhappiness and that you are a failure.
So, I want you to pick one problem and look at it in a new light by recreating a positive outcome. I know it can be tough but you can do it. Imagine a positive solution and really feel the feeling of the new positive ending to your story. Now, make the new ending happen!
3. Make a List of Your Positive Attributes. Yes you do have them. We all do even if we don’t always see them. For many years, I heard “you are your own worst enemy” and I know I am not alone. It is time to make a list of your positive gifts (physical and mental). We need to find an inner love for ourselves, instead of looking to others for approval. I struggled with this exercise for years and then with the help of a friend, I reached out to several close friends and asked for their help. I asked them to describe me in just 3 words. I was blown away by the response. Once I wrote them all together, I put them into positive mantras I could repeat until I really started to believe them…
4. Fake it till you make it. I know this sounds easy and hard to believe it actually works, but trust me it is easy and it does work. Remember those negative thoughts like:”This day sucks”, “I feel ugly” or “I am not good enough” guess what? Those thoughts radiate and everyone knows how you are feeling. You need to keep your thoughts in check, so when the negative self talk creeps back up- proclaim the opposite. This will help you to build your self worth cause the negative inner gremlins can get pretty sneaky.
5. Get enough sleep. I know as busy women, who has time for a good’s night sleep, right? What is the definition of a good night’s sleep? Is it 5 hours or maybe less? Maybe it means a night when the kids aren’t climbing in your bed. When you are tired and your body is run down, it’s difficult to feel good about yourself. Your body is dragging, and the negative inner gremlins are ready to rear their ugly heads. As much as you may hate to hear it, your body needs a solid 6-8 hours of sleep – peaceful uninterrupted sleep. I used to live on about 5 hours then age creeped in and health struggles. I am grateful my hubby got me into a routine of at least 7 hours of sleep. There are days when I get less but I can tell because my sparkle dulls just a little. I know it is not always easy but find a happy medium for you so you have the energy to fight off those nasty gremlins.
I would love to hear from you and know what you do to boost your confidence on those tough days.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!