This healthy, gluten-free recipe is a one-pot wonder which comes together in a snap! Skip the sour crean and it becomes a great vegan option.
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, stem removed, seeded
- 1 medium zucchini, ends trimmed and cut into 3” (7.5-cm) pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can (15 oz/425 g) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz/411 g) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-2 tbsp (15-30 mL) Tex-Mex Rub
- ¼ cup (50 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
- Diced avocado, sour cream and lime wedges (optional)
- Combine the quinoa and broth in the Deep Covered Baker. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the bell pepper into quarters and the zucchini in half lengthwise. Using the Quick Slice, cut the bell pepper (skin-side up) into strips. Slice the zucchini halves crosswise.
- Remove the baker from the microwave. Stir in the vegetables, garlic pressed with the Garlic Press, beans, tomatoes with juice, and rub.
- Microwave, covered, for 8–10 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed the liquid.
- Remove the baker from the microwave and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Snip cilantro in a small bowl with the Professional Shears.
- To serve, sprinkle the quinoa with cilantro and top each serving with avocado and sour cream, if desired.
Yield: 5 servings of 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 230, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 660 mg, Carbohydrate 46 g, Fiber 9 g, Sugars 8 g, Protein 11 g
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder and 1 tsp (5 mL) of ground cumin can be substituted for Tex-Mex Rub.
- To make this recipe on the stovetop, increase vegetable broth to 1½ cups (375 mL). Combine the quinoa and broth in Rockcrok® Dutch Oven and cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. Continue as directed in steps 2 and 3. In step 4, bring to a simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed the liquid. Let it stand 5 minutes. Continue as directed.
Want more recipes to help you change up boring dinners? Check out Patti’s website where there is over 250 recipes to spice up your dinner menu. If your wish list is bigger than your wallet, host a party to earn free and discounted products. Just like to shop, check out the monthly customer specials.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!