I love everything HOT and spicy so I was excited to see this Hungry Girl recipe.
Prep: 25 minutes Cook: 30 minutes Makes 4 servings.
1/4th of recipe (3 poppers with about 2 tbsp. dip): 118 calories, 3.5g total fat (2g sat fat), 385mg sodium, 12g carbs, 2g fiber, 3.5g sugars, 9g protein. SmartPoints® value 3*
1/2 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cup light/low-fat ricotta cheese
1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper
12 slices turkey pepperoni, chopped
6 jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds and stems removed (see HG Tip)
1/4 cup (about 2 large) egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a wide bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 1 tsp. Parm., 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning, and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt, and black pepper. Add 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, and remaining 2 tsp. Parm. Mix well. Stir in chopped pepperoni.
- Evenly spoon and spread mixture into the pepper halves.
- Place egg whites/substitute in another wide bowl. One at a time, coat pepper halves with egg whites/substitute, shake to remove excess, and coat with breadcrumb mixture.
- Evenly place on the baking sheet, stuffed sides up. Top with any remaining breadcrumbs.
- Bake until outside is crispy and pepper halves have softened, 25 – 30 minutes.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine tomatoes with remaining 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. Mix well.
- Microwave until hot, about 30 seconds.
Serve poppers with seasoned tomatoes for dipping.
HG Tip: Use a spoon to seed your jalapeños. When handling jalapeños, don’t touch your eyes — pepper juice can STING. And wash your hands well immediately afterward.
I am always looking for more recipes, send me your favorite so you can be one of our Tasty Tuesday guest cooks.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!