Happy Monday…. I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving weekend with friends and family. It was a busy few days for us since the girls were in town for a quick visit with one of the fur grand babies. Lots of adventures.
I don’t know about you but the realization JUST hit me…. there is less than five weeks to go to make the most of this year…yes, FIVE weeks. If you want to be exact, there is 34 days.
I know for many, they will be filled with holiday shopping, decorating, celebrating with family and friends and maybe even a mini vacation. Yes, I will be doing some of those things BUT I realized there are a few things I meant to do in 2016 which have not been accomplished yet….
Check out this list and join me in crossing off some things from your to do list…
- Visit your doctor or dentist. Okay, the doctor is not tops on my list since I have spent countless days at doctor’s offices over the last year. The dentist was on my list. I will admit, I am pretty lousy at following through since I HATE dentists. But, if I learned nothing in the last year, our health — physical, mental, sexual, oral or otherwise — is important. We need to take care of ourselves. And each other. Friends, make your friends go for a check-up and keep them accountable.
- Deep clean your space. No one wants to do this, but just think about how refreshing it would be to wake up January 1 with a blank slate. No cob webs, no dust, no laundry. Just a clean start. I have always said, “dust bunnies” are my friends. I have made a verbal commitment to hubby to be better at this in 2017 especially since he has been so wonderful in helping me to get on top of things before the girls arrived.
- Donate unwanted items to charity or thrift stores. After you deep clean (including your closet, of course), take any unwanted items to a thrift store or donate them to charity. Not only are you reducing waste and helping those in need, making a charitable donation can also positively affect your tax return. I am working on keeping my color palate of clothes to some basics so I have really been cleaning out.
- When was the last time you looked someone in the eye and told them you loved them? Seriously, it may be scary but intentionally and wholeheartedly telling your partner, parent, sister, brother, whomever, you love them is one of the greatest things you can do. Ever. So don’t wait another day.
- Clean up your inbox, desktop, text messages and photos. Daunting, yes, but oh-so freeing. Make your favorite smoothie, put on your favorite album or throw on your headphones, get comfy and technically cut the clutter and free up some digital space for new memories.
- Travel to a place you haven’t been to before. A dream vacation, a restaurant, a park, a campsite, your partner’s favorite beach… no matter where you go or what you do, just do it. Experience something new. You will be amazed at how a brief break from the holiday craziness will help change your perspective AND re-energize you.
- Compliment a stranger. Random acts of kindness, even just words can make a difference in the life of someone you don’t know. Have you ever walked into work or a coffee shop and a complete stranger compliments you — your smile, outfit, shoes? It is one of the greatest feelings in the world. Or even better… have you ever seen the reaction of a stranger when you compliment them? Talk about a positive, warm and beautiful exchange. So why not make someone feel really good today? Go ahead, compliment them!
- Watch the sun rise. I LOVE the sunrise especially over the beach. With the sunrising a little later, it is a little easier to do even if it is from the confines of the house looking out the window. It is the most peaceful time of day. A soft glow starts to appear in the once navy sky. It is a perfect time to meditate, reflect, give thanks or set your intentions. Just you, your thoughts, and a rising sun.
- Think ahead to 2017. Start thinking about your new year’s intentions and goals. I don’t do resolutions BUT I do have a list of goals each year. I also pick one word which will help to guide me through the year. Being forward thinking allows you to make the decisions now to impact your future.
What would you add to this list? Please share in the comments.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!